Many buyers make an emotional connection to a home the moment they pull up in the driveway. This makes the outside of your home just as important as the spaces inside. Here are five ways to upgrade curb appeal without a heavy investment:
- Add Some Fresh Paint. A fresh coat of paint is always a good choice. However, if you don’t have the budget to paint your entire house, consider buying a gallon or two to freshen up the trim, shutters and doors. And remember, neutral colors are key!
- Upgrade the Mailbox. If your mailbox looks out of sorts in your neighborhood, or is old and weathered, consider upgrading. Mailboxes might seem trivial, but they are certainly part of the overall experience when buyers drive up. A mailbox is like the first handshake—it speaks volumes about the character of the home.
- Replace Old House Numbers. Houses with old or faded house numbers can look old and faded too. Consider replacing old numbers with new ones, or, if your home has none, add some. Like your mailbox, this little detail can set the tone of what’s to come inside.
- Update the Light Fixtures. Light fixtures on your patio and at your front door can make a big impact on what your buyer thinks about your home, even in the daytime. Interior light fixtures that are dated may deter buyers as well. Simple lighting upgrades can make your home feel newer and, if chosen wisely, won’t cost a fortune.
- Bring in Flowers and Plants. Depending on the season, consider adding some potted plants pots in a variety of staggering sizes and styles: lush green plants and annual flowers. These add a fresh pop of color and texture to your entry.
Bonus Tip: Don’t forget about your backyard and patio too. Backyards can sell homes—so if you do some freshening up in front, be sure to carry that through to the back as well. New paint, lighting and plants should all be considerations.
Interested in having a market analysis done on your home? Request a referral to a real estate agent in our free HomeAdvantage® program. These agents are top professionals in their field and can help you advise you on how to get the most return on your investment. Submit your HomeAdvantage Market Evaluation request form or contact us at 800-662-2772.
Note: You need to enroll to the HomeAdvantage® program in order to request a referral and market evaluation.